OTT — English Over the Top — method of translation of digital content from the provider to the viewer's device (computer, set-top box, phone). The information is divided into IP packets and is transmitted over the Internet using networks of the third-party operators. OTT differs from IPTV in that the Internet service provider does not control the OTT service, as in the case of the provision of IPTV services through an operator-controlled network.
IPTV — technology of TV and video content transmission via IP Internet Protocol. It is used in its networks by digital television operators. The provider provides the subscriber with the opportunity to use the IPTV service through a PC browser or after connecting additional equipment with the ability to display a picture on the TV screen.
Video on demand VOD
Video on demand VOD — service of viewing digital content upon user's request. VOD access is the ability to find and view the chosen content. VOD is a service that provides content in the form of movies, TV series and other audiovisual works, that is to say — video hosting or online cinema.
Catch up — technology that allows you to view digital content provided there is access to the Internet at a later time after content display of a TV channel or premiere on the air. Access to digital content using catch up is impossible without the use of technical means of the service, in particular, the ability to record content in real time in high quality with the ability to play the recorded content later at the user's request. To a greater extent typical of TV services.
EPG, Electronic Programming Guide
EPG — Electronic Programming Guide — software program with an interface for flexible digital content management: program menu, description of digital content of the service.
Time Shifting — service function that allows you to suspend the viewing, put the broadcast on pause, and replay it at a time convenient for the user. You can also record and view fragments of digital content.
Recording capacity should not exceed:
- PVR — Private Video Recording — maximum allowed size of physical memory of the device;
- nPVR or cloud PVR — the limit allocated to one conditional user by means of appropriate software policies;
- maximum allowable time or number of recorded fragments.
- a function, activation of which enables the user to request the provider to suspend the digital content at any time for the required period (if features are technically available);
- a function, activation of which enables the user to view a portion of digital content for a certain period of time that has been broadcasted for a period of time for which the broadcasting was suspended;
- operator's ability to record messages of digital content, play it, and bring it to the attention of users
Playback device — electronic device that is connected to the Internet using existing technologies and communications standards: wired (DSL, BroadBand/broadband, etc.) and wireless (Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G, LTE, etc.).
Playback devices include:
- Set-Top Box;
- personal computer;
- Smart TV;
OTT-TV/VOD-service — a hybrid service that provides the possibility of both broadcasting TV channels and access to content in online cinemas.
User — an anonymous or registered subscriber who gains access to content through a browser or software program with the assignment of a personal identifier, which is registered in the internal statistics system of the operator.
Format — the set of characteristics of the content:
- audiovisual work;
- source of content and its components (mass media, TV shows, etc.);
- method of processing content (HD, Dolby Stereo, etc.);
- content delivery method (web, mobile, etc.).
Digital content — information provided in the form of one electronic file or a package of files for delivery to the subscriber through information and telecommunication networks with the ability to convert and correctly play the file on the user device.
Kinds of digital content:
- copies of audiovisual and musical works;
- software programs;
- digitized copies of books.
Digital content can also include TV channels in the context of streaming via OTT service.
Software program for distribution and playback of digital content
Software program for distribution and playback of digital content — set of several software solutions required for the transmission and playback of digital content on subscriber devices.
Software programs include:
- web-sites on the Internet;
- applications developed for smartphones;
- applications and software for Smart TV;
- players for content playback.
Smart TV — a technology that enables integration of online content delivery services via Internet into TVs and digital receivers, as well as a compliant TV with an Internet connection.
Set-Top Box, STB Set-Top Box, STB
Set-Top Box, STB Set-Top Box, STB — a device that allows performing Smart TV functions when connected to any model of TV